Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I Never Liked the Taste of Crow

Whether we admit it or not, we've all been there. 
Saying "I'll never to that!" is the fastest way to find yourself backpedaling to justify your actions when you actually DO what you swore up and down you'd never be caught dead doing. 

It's time to fess up. 

Here's what made me eat crow lately:
::  "I'll never mow the lawn"
I always considered this a husband job.  Plus, I have allergies.  And I don't really like being dirty.  So, although I would be happy to help pull weeds or plant flowers, I never actually mowed.  Until the recent bathroom remodel.  Kristopher was busy doing construction stuff in the afternoons and on the weekends and the grass was getting so high that it was hard to see Sassy when she walked around in the yard (only a slight exaggeration).  It was time to take matters into my own hands.  I mowed the whole yard during the kids' naptime on two separate occasions.  It was a dark period that I hope to never revisit.  And, coincidentally, I just hired a yard guy that starts this week.

::  "I'll never allow my child to regularly watch TV"
I count on Blue's Clues to give me a chance to blow dry my hair and fix dinner.  It's practically a safety measure at this point, because there's no telling what Barrett could get into when my attention is focused on something else for a nanosecond. 

::  "I'll never feed my toddler processed foods.  Or gummy fruit snacks.  Or frozen pizza.  Or gross quantities of animal crackers."
Hey, an animal cracker bribe to give me a peaceful trip through the grocery/Hobby Lobby/doctor's office is waaaayy better than being "that girl" with the screaming toddler.  Really, you should be thanking me for this one.  Don't leave home without animal crackers...

::  "I'll never be one of those moms who can only talk about her children"
ahem, this blog...
Enough said.

::  "I'll never be a stay-at-home mom"
That's right, y'all.  As of last week, I am no longer a practicing attorney.  Ever since Barrett was deemed ineligible for daycare because of his heart troubles, I've been working from home for my firm on a part time basis.  I never planned to stay at home, but after Barrett was born and we were faced with unexpected medical issues, all of our plans changed.
I can vividly remember saying to myself in law school that I couldn't understand how a woman could work so hard to succeed in the legal field, only to stay at home soon after.  It seemed like a waste: trading diapers and playdates for all of those hours studying for exams, editing law review papers, and cramming for the bar exam.
But now that I am grounded in the real world, instead of up on my soapbox, I can see that I'm doing what really matters most to me -- being with my babies and cherishing their everyday moments. 
And I've never been happier.
Although part of  me is sad that I no longer have an office or a need for a wardrobe of suits, it somehow feels like my new job is even more important.  Go figure ~ ~

Now it's your turn -- have you ever had to eat crow?  Go on, confess. 
It doesn't taste so bad...  I'm starting to get used to it.

3 comments:

  1. i love this blog! aaron watches tv after he wakes up in the morning and after his nap. and we take dum-dums everywhere! we also bribe him with sprinkles. yep, the tiny little sugar things you put on cookies. it's amazing how that gets him to the table some days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'll never do my child's homework for him." Well, I didn't realize that my 22 month old would have homework! Right, like he was going to sit still for that one.

    Also, Billy and I celebrated when Beau finally started watching tv! Sure he only has about a 10 minute attention span, but it's such a huge help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'll never open a box of food in the grocery store." We've opened fruit snacks, cereal bars and Catherine's favorite, apples with caramel. Oh yes, she dipped them the whole way through the store. I had to self-checkout just so the cashier wouldn't have to touch the mess because we still had to pay for it! :)

    ReplyDelete