Friday, July 29, 2011

Before I Forget

In the spirit of using this blog as an electronic journal, I want to jot down these recent happenings before I forget the details of daily life at this age:

::  Barrett eats pitted black olives by poking his finger through the hole, wiggling his fingers around with an olive on each one, and then eating them one at a time.  I don't know how he learned to do this, but I think it is so funny.


::  When I put on Barrett's socks, he says "bye toes!"

::  Barrett has mastered counting to ten and now we're working on the alphabet.  His favorite letter is B, of course, but he also likes A and R (do you detect a theme??  Thanks for the name puzzle, Aunt Kim!).  We are making progress, although sometimes, he just calls every letter "B."

::  Barrett can correctly identify eyes, ears, nose, mouth, head, hair, arms, feet, and toes.  He's also pretty good and basic colors: red, blue, green and yellow.

::  He is really into bunnies right now.  His favorite book is "Bedtime Bunnies" (a library book; I hope he is not so attached to it by the time all the renewals run out!), he loves his bunny slippers and snacking on cheddar bunnies, which are just like goldfish, but shaped like rabbits. 
That reminds me -- I should DVR Max and Ruby for him.  That's about bunnies, right?  It would give me a much-needed break from of Blue's Clues...
When were were visiting Kristopher's grandparents, Barrett had the opportunity to pet a REAL bunny up close and personal, but alternated between chasing the bunny as it hopped around the house, undoubtedly in search of shelter, and then scurrying away when it started to hop towards him.

PLEASE let me pet the bunny!?
Wait, get that away from me!!!
::  Even more than bunnies, Barrett is into TRUCKS and TRACTORS!  Love to scoot his toy trucks around, say "beep!" and "boom!" when they crash, and points out every truck we see on the road.  The highlight of Tuesday mornings is watch THREE separate trucks to come pick up garbage, recycling, and limbs.  He presses his little nose against the windows in the dining room and screams "truck!" 
Once they even honked at him, which was thrilling.  Or maybe they were honking in protest, because that was the day they picked up the four foot high pile of sheet rock, lumber, bathtub, crushed up tile, etc, from the bathroom remodel.  Hm.  We'll just say they were honking at Barrett.

::  Charlotte sat up by herself on Saturday July 23, 2011.

Sitting up, in her christening bonnet.  Look at all those pretty baby rolls!!
::  Charlotte giggles hysterically when you blow raspberries on her tummy.

::  When Barrett observes this, he runs up and lifts his t-shirt for you to also blow raspberries on HIS tummy, then he and Charlotte both giggle at each other.

::  Charlotte loves her giraffe, Sophie, and uses it like a giant pacifier.  I think she is teething.

Charlotte, with her two best friends, Barrett and Sophie
Sophie, come back!
::  She still hasn't eaten out of a spoon, although she now consents to an occasional bottle.  The pediatrician says we should hold off on spoon-feeding for a little while longer because she may lose interest in nursing once she discovers the wildly exciting world of solid foods.

::  One night when I was short on time, I tried to bathe the kids together by putting Charlotte in her bumbo in the bathtub with Barrett.  This was a bad idea (obviously, in hindsight...) because the bumbo wants to float.  Now I still bathe them together, but I put the Charlotte's baby tub in the big tub with Barrett.  Much better.  Why didn't I think of that first??  Sometimes you can't see the forest because of all the trees.

2 comments:

  1. A few things...
    1. Barrett may be the only kid I know that can rival Beau in his love of black olives. They should form some sort of black olive alliance.
    2. TEN! He can count to ten!? Genius.
    3. Now you need to teach Barrett how to make the trucks on the interstate honk at him by motioning his arm...I taught Beau this before the Texas trip...hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love reading about what all these sweet kids are up to, including Kelly's kids! Some of the things I'd heard about, but I still enjoy reading your stories.

    And when I saw Barrett sticking his fingers into his black olives and then eating them off his fingers, I wondered . . How did he know to do THAT?? But of course . . nobody had to show him. He just knew. :)

    ReplyDelete