Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Family Heirlooms

I'm not sure if it is my southern genes or what, but I am really into family heirlooms and deep-seated traditions.  It feels good to have a sense that you are a part of something bigger than yourself; something that is old and steeped in generations and love. 
You know?
Most of our furniture belonged to family members before us, which I love.  I refinished so many pieces of my grandparents' furniture that I actually included "refinishing furniture" as a hobby on my resume in law school. 

Go ahead and laugh, but that one was always a conversation-starter...

We also have several pieces that were made by my great-grandfather, James Barrett -- my namesake, and now Barrett's too.  He made a standing cedar chest,  grandfather clock, and inlaid wood cabinet that are all three in our living room.

It feels special when we use my grandmothers' crystal or see Kristopher's grandmother's china hanging in Charlotte's nursery.
I almost teared up watching Barrett clamor sit in my late Uncle Bobby's baby rocking chair.  Barrett would have loved Uncle Bobby.

I also love creating new family heirlooms~~
It meant a lot to me that my sister, Jessica, wanted to wear my wedding dress.  Now, it is ours -- which makes it even more special in my eyes.
And we are currently in the process of meeting with an heirloom sewing lady to add lace to Barrett's silk christening gown, so that baby Charlotte can wear it as a more feminine version.
All this to say -- I totally dig old-fashioned stuff. 

And I was thrilled to pieces when my mom showed me a hand-tatted lace cap that my great-aunt Ginny found.  The baby cap is so old, that no one can remember exactly where it came from or who made it, but our best guess is that my great-grandmother Pearl (James Barrett's wife and great-aunt Ginny's mama) made it for her babies.  That makes it around a hundred years old.  If Pearl's mama made it, it is even older.  So neat, right???


So, here is baby Charlotte sporting the lace cap.  It is so interesting to think of all the family babies that wore it before her, don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. Family heirlooms are so cool. I really had not thought about how many people, over generations, have used all of these heirlooms that have been passed on to your little family. And you get to pass them on for more to use!

    We never got to know Pearl, but I bet she would have loved knowing that Charlotte wore her lace cap, and Pa (James Barrett Hall) would have too.

    And you're right, Bobby & Barrett would have had great times together!

    ReplyDelete