Friday, March 25, 2011

All Dressed Up and Nowhere to Go

Although it is almost essential to leave the house daily for everyone's sanity and vitamin D levels, it is not easy to actually get us all together and out of the house.  In fact, it literally takes hours of preparation and planning to get everyone simultaneously clean, well-rested, dressed, recently fed, and in the car. 
Ready to go!
I got the kiddos all set and strapped into their carseats.  I was just pulling out of the driveway when.... the heavens opened and a torrential rain storm began.

You have got to be kidding me....

It is already a challenge to get both babies out of the car in sunny weather (unload double stroller from car, set it up, take Charlotte out of car seat and strap her into stroller, ditto for Barrett, wave away cars who think you are packing up to leave instead of unpacking because it takes so long, they can't tell if you're coming or going...whew).  So.  Needless to say, the lengthy double-stroller load/unload in a DOWNPOUR would be ridiculous. 

But, we were all ready to go (rare event), and I was determined that we would in fact GO, so we set off to run our planned errands.  Well, guess what?  As soon as we got to our destination, the rain suddenly stopped and I was able to get the kids out of the car and into the store before it started raining again!

Yay!!


I know it sounds like it would be much simpler to just wait to run errands, but after all of that time and emotional investment in getting us ready to go out the door, I was bound and determined to leave the house, even if we just drove around in the rain.
Oh, mom....

Does everyone with two young kids go through this?  Maybe I'm making it too hard...but it is getting easier everyday, so I'm counting on that.  Until then, our favorite outings are still those where the kids don't have to get out of the car (bank drive thru, car wash, drive thru oil change...).  Obviously, we have a very glamorous and jet-setting lifestyle.

3 comments:

  1. I remember taking all of ours to the grocery store. There was much "education" about the dangers of parking lots, and they all had to stand on the line between the parking spaces as I got them out of the van...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand just how it is, honey - no, really I do - now that I've seen you in action, trying to get them ready to go somewhere. Even when I'm there to "help." It's great that you can make it funny! You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Oh how I feel the same way! Nathan so loves to "go in the car". He asks everyday. So I am constantly trying to come up with somewhere for us to go! And, then begins the circus of getting 2 small children ready to go! We thought the car wash would be a great option as well. Except for one small problem- Nathan is terrified of it and screams bloody murder while we are inside. Who would have thought??

    ReplyDelete