Monday, July 19, 2010

Milestone Moment: First Tooth!

At 9 1/2 months old, Barrett finally got his first tooth~  Horray!  It is on the bottom.  Of course, while this is a milestone to be celebrated, it is also a reminder that teething hurts.  I'm not going to say it was easy, because that would really just be asking for trouble and isn't exactly true, but it honestly was not as bad as I expected.  I had heard enough stories and was bracing myself for a major meltdown.
Aside: Why do people always relish in telling new moms horror stories or examples of freak accidents or alleged grave harm that you could inadvertently inflict on your child if you do something crazy, like, I don't know, remove them from a protective bubble?  Is this really helpful?  What is the deal with that?  Ahem.  Anyway. 
By and large, Barrett has handled the teething like a champ, apart from a minor snafu in the middle of the night when Kristopher and I had to start cutting into already-packed boxes to find the Baby Oragel, which we never even found (yes, I had already packed it...he's never needed it before, so I figured he could make it a few more days?  Wrong.)  I think the second bottom tooth may even be on its way.
We've been working extra hard to keep up with his naps, etc, to reduce any overall fussiness and keeping him feeling fine.  The regular rest + occasional Tylenol seem to do the trick.  I tried taking a picture of his tooth, but he just sticks his tongue out every time to try to pull down his lower lip to snap the shot.  I'll keep trying :)

4 comments:

  1. Hooray for Barrett! So glad it wasn't a miserable experience...sometimes, it's just not. Here's hoping that each tooth is as easy as the first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAY!
    And I could not agree more with your "aside"! I mean what is the purpose in scaring the poo out of new moms?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEA BARRETT!! What a big boy! His smile is going to be even cuter now....and I didn't think that was possible. You found the sure-fire way to get him to cut his tooth....pack the Oragel! Murphy's Law! Just think of anything else you've been waiting to have happen. Pack what you would need to respond to it, and it will immediately happen! :) Maybe I'll pack our credit card bill for the month and it will pay itself??? hee hee hee

    Can't wait to see you soon. It's almost BIRTHDAY WEEK!!!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So glad he got that first tooth. Just think of the things he'll be able to munch on now. Get ready to put that new tooth to use!

    ReplyDelete