Friday, April 16, 2010

Photography Rant

Ahh, our wedding day.  The best day ever~~  Everything was just as I imagined.

Too bad I don't have any printed professional photos to peruse to reminisce (despite my mother's saintly and heroic efforts to put the fear of GOD into the photographer-- in a delicate and polite way, of course).  Although I have all the digital jpegs, not one. single. print. 
Yes, that's right, three years later and the deadbeat photographer (not to name any names, JOHN BALLANCE) still has yet to produce an album or print.  I won't get into the details, it is a sore subject.
When he mentioned that he would take Barrett's portrait gratis, as a "favor" to all of his wedding photography clients, I had to laugh.  I mean, I DO want to receive this portrait before Barrrett graduates from high school.  But I'm so soured by photographers, I don't have another go-to person to use.  I'm photographer gun shy.
So, I decided to take Barrett's christening portrait myself.  Trouble is, I'm not a photographer.  Not even a little bit.  As much as I admire the works of others, it just doesn't seem to be my thing.  I'm still sporting a digital Olympus camera that I've had for who-knows-how-long.  I can take cute candids of the bebe, but formal shots are a horse of a different color.
Come to think of it, I don't know why I thought this was a good idea. 
After about a trillion no-good shots where he looked really startled....


or he was blowing bubbles...


or he was more interested in sucking on his silver rattle I gave him as a prop (another bad idea)...



I finally got ONE good shot!  Horray! 

And Kelly magically removed the red eyes from it!  Even better! 

Now, I'm headed over to artscow.com to order a canvas. 
Take that John Ballance.

3 comments:

  1. Honey, next time you go to Birmingham let me know! I'd love to take Barrett's pictures and you and Kristopher too. And don't you worry, dear you'll get some prints!!! I can't believe someone did that to you! That is absolutely terrible and I really hope he's not continuing to shoot weddings or anything else for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that would be GREAT! I'll take you up on that~ I love your pictures, so impressive. Of course, you have an awfully cute subject, so that must help :)
    About the wedding photographer -- yes, he is still in action. I'm waiting until I get my album (which should be "soon") before I do anything about it. We're at his mercy now, since he is basically holding my pictures hostage and refuses to release the copyright so another photographer could just do the album. Hmpf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me laugh so hard! And yet... so frustrating! I am so sorry, I had no idea you had such a goof of a photographer!!!!! Shannon takes all of Nathan's portraits for us. And she and I have found a wonderful little website that prints on professional grade paper. They do color adjustment as part of the price per photo. I have been super pleased with the quality of everything we have printed from them. Just to have in your back pocket!
    www.nationsphotolab.com

    ReplyDelete